Sunday, January 2, 2011

Proposition One, Point One, and Beyond

Proposition One, Point One, said Wittgenstein, ignoring the flow of conversation, is this:

The world is the totality of facts, not of things.

That's quite good, said Irma. That means there are not just icecreams, but facts about icecreams as well, that make up the world.

Yes, said Emma. Such as this icecream has raisins in it. And that icecream is smeared all over Professor Freud's glasses.

Oh, said Professor Freud. Is that why I can't see?

Would you like to borrow my handkerchief? asked Saint Nicholas.

No thank you, said Professor Freud stiffly.

What's the matter? asked Saint Nicholas.

There may be certain facts about your handkerchief, said Professor Freud.

I assure you there are not, said Saint Nicholas. Do go on, Ludwig, he said to Wittgenstein.

Ludwig! giggled Emma.

Be quiet, Emma, said Professor Freud.

Does anyone understand what I'm saying? asked Wittgenstein.

Yes of course we do, said Irma. You are saying that philosophy does not need a special language.

Then, said Wittgenstein, I see that I may skip to my final proposition, which is Proposition Seven.

Good, said Saint Nicholas, because we really must be going soon. What is it?

It is, said Wittgenstein, as follows:

What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence.

I can't agree with that, said Professor Freud.

No comments: