Friday, January 7, 2011

Pliny's Riddle

Next morning when I opened my copy of Natural History, a piece of paper fell out.

There was something written on it, in pencil, and it looked like Pliny's writing.

Here is a riddle just for you
Hair of gold and eyes of blue
Where's my lunch?

That didn't seem like much of a riddle. I'd been busy all day yesterday and hadn't had time to leave him any lunch, but there was plenty of bread and ham. Lazy old Roman.

I went looking for him.

Pliny, I said. Couldn't you have made your own lunch?

I did, said Pliny. What are you talking about?

The riddle, I replied.

Oh, the riddle, said Pliny. It wasn't finished. I was distracted by having to construct a sandwich. It isn't easy to do.

A riddle or a sandwich? I asked.

Both, he answered. But I meant the sandwich.

What about the riddle? I asked. Have you finished it yet?

Yes, he said, but it's probably too late now. Have you read page 68?

No, not yet. So what's the riddle?

Pliny recited:

Here is a riddle just for you
Hair of gold and eyes of blue....

He stopped. What do you think of the rhyme? he asked. We ancient Romans aren't used to rhyming.

You and blue? I said. An excellent rhyme, but do go on.

Taller than the average height
Generally keeping out of sight
A harsh voice too
Who am I?

I don't know, I said. Swedish people?

No! Pliny laughed, in a manner that seemed a bit forced.

It's a comical riddle, he explained. So the answer is what you would least expect.

Chinese people? I asked.

Pliny looked disappointed.

No comments: