Monday, January 10, 2011

That's It

So, said Pliny the Elder. It is a jar of Nutella. But a jar of Nutella unlike any jar of Nutella I have ever seen.

It was a particular jar, I admitted.

Indeed, said Pliny. Pray tell me about the icons and runes depicting heroism and despair.

It was a long time ago, I said. But I think that on one side of the glass Homer Simpson was about to swing his club heroically at the golf ball. On the other side he was grimacing because he had taken out a chunk of dirt instead.

I see, said Pliny. That can happen. But what was the hat of white?

The lid of the jar, I said.

And the paper coat of many colours?

A removable label.

I see, said Pliny.

He thought for a while.

I think I am ready to try another riddle, he said.

I don't have one, I said.

No, I have one, he said. See if you can guess it:

I stand upon one leg,
And stare all day at the sun
I never spit
Or get a headache
That's it
What am I ?

An Ethiopian? I guessed.

Why do we always think the answer to a riddle might be an Ethiopian? asked Pliny.

I don't know, I said. Is it the answer?

No, said Pliny. It never is.

No comments: