Monday, January 17, 2011

Presents

They have every one answered worse than another ? What did he mean? I asked.

I'm not sure, said the Geranium.

So what did Alexander say?

He said: Well then, you shall die first for giving such a verdict.

Fair enough, I said. And did he die first?

No, he came up with a smart answer. He said: O king, that cannot be, unless you falsely said
you would put to death first him who answered worst.

Why was that a smart answer? He had answered worst.

No he hadn't. He was the judge. At least I suppose that was why Alexander was pleased with the answer.

He was pleased?

Yes he must have been, because according to Plutarch, he gave all the Gymnosophists presents and sent them away.

Amazing! What a story! But I'm inclined to think Alexander didn't really understand the answer, and rather than admit it, he sent them away.

Me too, agreed the Geranium. And I often wonder what he gave them as presents, he added.

Hey, yes! they were Gymnosophists! What would they have wanted as presents?

Bicycles! said the Geranium.

In those days.....I began.

No, said the Geranium. I'm changing the subject. Look over there!

And it was true. The street was full of men on bicycles. The Tour Down Under was under way.

Goodbye Geranium! I said. It's been a pleasure chatting to you. But now I must leave you and follow the Tour.

No comments: