Monday, March 13, 2023

Drone Contraptions

Sweezus, Arthur and David are drinking beer under a tree, beside the green lake.

Vello goes up to the bar.

Gaius finds more white plastic seats.

Can I go onto the island? asks Terence.

Okay, says Belle. But no paddling.

Terence runs off to the bridge.

How'd your show go? asks Sweezus.

Not too bad, says Pierre-Louis. But I'd do it differently next time.

Like, think it through? says Belle. You seemed to be winging it.

I was winging it, says Pierre-Louis.

Did you make any money? asks David.

No, says Pierre-Louis. Did you?

We did quite well, says David. People know us.

And the free seeds helped, says Belle. 

In the end, says Vello. No thanks to Arthur.

I found the box, says Arthur.

You were supposed to wrap them, says Vello. 

He probably didn't have time, says Gaius.

That's right, says Arthur.

So what's next for everyone? asks Belle. 

Back to work, says Vello. 

The daily grind, says David.

We're going surfing, says Sweezus. Long weekend coming up.

If you see Great White Teacher..... says Vello

Shit! says Sweezus. He'll want his cut for the teeth!

No cut,  says Vello. He wants an ad on a bus. You and Arthur can see to it.

Bugger! says Sweezus. How much do you reckon it costs?

No idea, says Vello. But we should have made enough to cover it. 

Yes, says David. No problem there.

And what about you, Gaius? asks Belle.

Gaius has been sipping his pale ale thoughtfully, while gazing up into the tree.

Has he just seen a possum?

A fortunate Adelaide possum.

The possible sighting of the fortunate Adelaide possum reminds him of a project he has had at the back of his mind for some time.

I intend to go to the Victorian central highlands to look for critically endangered Leadbeater possums, says Gaius. I'm hoping Arthur will come with me.

Sure, says Arthur. After the long weekend, I'll be free.

It'll be freezing says Belle. Take your long johns. 

Naturally, says Gaius. And before I go, I must try and get hold of one of those drone contraptions. The Leadbeater possums live high up in the canopy.

You need one of those new drones, with bat intelligence, says Belle. One that won't get stuck in a tree.

I'll look into it, says Gaius.

Terence comes running back.

Guess what? I saw a possum in a tree on the island. And I tried to climb up the tree because you said no paddling but you didn't say no climbing but I couldn't and then a big kid gave me a boost to the first branch and the possum jumped away and then millions of bats flew over and one of them landed right next to me and this is him!

Terence produces a medium sized bat, half-strangled and panting.

Crikey! shrieks Belle.


No comments: