Sunday, March 26, 2023

In-Out-Up-No-Way-Unless

Roo-kai flies directly to Gaius's house.

Where will the drone be?

Outside? On the wooden table?

Or inside.

In which case, how will he get in?

He arrives, and lands in the back garden.

No drone on the table.

He slides the screen door open with his beak and taps on the glass door.

Maybe Baby Pierre will be in the kitchen.

Or Ageless lobster, paying a visit to Kobo.

He flies around to the side of the house and peers through the kitchen window.

Roo-kai! mouths Baby Pierre.

Open the back door! signals Roo-kai.

Baby Pierre rolls down from the window sill onto the draining board and leaps down to the floor.

He speeds across to the small chest of drawers, in the corner.

He climbs to the top, via a series of handles.

Click. He opens the back door.

Roo-kai enters the kitchen.

They forgot the drone, says Roo-kai. Have you seen it?

No, says Baby Pierre. Let's go looking.

They go looking, and find it on Gaius's bed, in its box, ready for its train trip.

Great! says Roo-kai.

Now what? says Baby Pierre.

I fly with it to Murray Bridge, where I'm meeting the Overland train, says Roo-kai

Woo! says Baby Pierre. Wouldn't that be impossible?

Maybe, says Roo-kai. In which case I'll fly on to Bordertown. Or even Dimboola.

You don't have to, says Baby Pierre. It's their fault they left it behind..

I'm Terence's best parrot, says Roo-kai. 

I heard he had a new parrot, says Baby Pierre.

She's the second best, says Roo-kai. 

Okay, go, says Baby Pierre. Keep me posted.

How? asks Roo-kai.

The drone, says Baby Pierre. Aren't you going to use it?

I wasn't, says Roo-kai. Don't tell me you've got your own phone?

It's a smart watch, says Baby Pierre, showing Roo-kai the tiniest smart watch ever. You can send me videos from the drone's camera. I'll give you my number

Tch! This is all wasting time.

Roo-kai memorises the number, and exits the house with the drone.

No way will he reach Murray Bridge before the train does.

Unless....


No comments: