Saturday, March 18, 2023

Half A Drone

Early next morning.

A knock on the door.

It's Pierre-Louis.

Come in, says Gaius. 

How's your fruit bat? asks Pierre-Louis. 

In excellent health, says Gaius. It's applied for the drone job.

You're joking, says Pierre-Louis. It could barely squeak.

Terence has taught it to speak English, says Gaius. 

So we won't need to go halves in a drone, says Pierre-Louis.

We'll still need a drone, says Gaius. The fruit bat will supply the intelligence.

I see, says Pierre-Louis. But a cheap drone will suffice.

Indeed, says Gaius. I always like to save money. Would you like a glass of water?

Thank you, says Pierre-Louis. I haven't had breakfast.

Neither have I, says Gaius. The fruit bat ate my only green apple.

I'd like to see her, says Pierre-Louis.

Follow me, says Gaius. But quietly. She's asleep.

They go into the kitchen.

Squattu is asleep in her box that smells of beans and nasturtiums.

Sweet, says Pierre-Louis. If you like bats.

Terence comes in from the back garden.

Hello, says Terence. Are you coming with us?

That's what I'm here about, says Pierre-Louis. 

This is good news, says Gaius. You're coming to the central highlands?

I'd like to get away, says Pierre-Louis. Vello keeps hounding me for a story.

I thought you wanted him to ask you to write him a story, says Gaius.

I did, but in my own time, says Pierre-Louis. Not to a deadline.

That's your business of course, says Gaius. But I always find it's best to do a task promptly.

Me too, says Terence.

You haven't yet taken those red knitted shorts off, says Gaius.

Terence takes them off. His good old gecko shorts are on underneath.

See! says Terence.

Wait, says Gaius. Does this mean Arthur isn't coming?

He says he's coming, says Pierre-Louis, but you know him.

I do, says Gaius. He'll be along when he's ready. I rely on him.

What for, exactly? asks Pierre-Louis.

Tickets, says Gaius. Pencils, knives....

Tickets? Will we be flying? asks Pierre-Louis.

Not with a fruit bat, says Gaius. We'll go on the train.

What about the drone? aks Pierre-Louis.

I'm sure a drone is allowed on a train, says Gaius. And if it wasn't, it could be programmed to fly overhead.

I meant, what about buying it? says Pierre-Louis.

Yes! says Gaius. Buying it. That should be our task for today. Terence, will you stay here and take care of the fruit bat?

Okay, says Terence.

The two grownups go out.

Terence places his red knitted shorts over the fruit bat.

He doesn't know that fruit bats don't like to be overheated.


No comments: