Saturday, March 25, 2023

Towards Extinction

Sunday morning.

They arrive at the Parkland Terminal, early.

Gaius has the tickets.

They stand in a queue.

The check-in official has been looking out for a person of Gaius's decription.

She walks down the queue.

Mr Secundus? 

It is I, says Gaius. And this is Pierre-Louis Maupertuis, my companion.

You're both down for priority boarding, says the check-in official.

She leads them to the head of the queue, and helps them on board.

She points out their seats, and goes back to continue the check-ins.

That was nice, says Pierre-Louis. 

An attendant comes up.

May I help you with your baggage? asks the attendant. There's an overhead locker.

Not the overhead locker! cries Terence, from inside Gaius's backpack.

What was that? asks the attendant.

My young charge, says Gaius. Don't worry. He's a statue.

Ha ha, laughs the attendant. May I see him?

Certainly, says Gaius. He may need to come out now and then. I trust that won't be a problem.

He opens his backpack.

Terence tries to look like he won't be a problem.

A Baby Jesus statue! says the attendant. How comforting that must be for you.

Not really, says Gaius. But well, yes, I suppose so.

I'll leave you to it, says the attendant. And I'm sorry for your loss.

Not lost yet, says Gaius. But hurtling towards extinction.

The attendant goes off to help the gentleman three seats down, who has dropped all his papers.

They all seem very concerned about the Leadbeaters' possum, says Gaius.

Yes, says Pierre-Louis. They do. 

Most heartening, says Gaius.

Can I get out? asks Terence. Where can I sit?

Wait a bit, says Gaius. There are thirty six seats in this carriage, and if any remain empty when the train leaves the station, you can sit in one.

Okay, says Terence. Where's Squatty?

In my back pack, says Pierre-Louis. Sleeping peacefully.

Where's the drone? asks Terence.

Gaius has it, says Pierre-Louis.

I thought you had it, says Gaius.

No, says Pierre-Louis. I've got the fruit bat.

You left it behind! says Terence. Now what?

I'll get Arthur to send it, says Gaius.

How long will that take? asks Pierre-Louis.

I don't know, says Gaius. Curses!

There is a tapping on the carriage window.

Roo-kai! cries Terence.

Has he found the drone? asks Gaius. 

Terence makes a sign like a drone. Rising, scanning, descending.

Roo-kai realises at once what has happened.

He heads for the door of the carriage and hops inside.

You forgot the drone! says Roo-kai. I'll go back for it.

We're about to depart, says Gaius.

I'll meet you in Murray Bridge, says Roo-kai. 

Excellent! says Gaius.

Roo-kai hops out of the carriage. Great. A mission.

The train toots. Toot!

The train departs. 


No comments: