Monday, March 27, 2023

That Rock Pigeon

Unless.....

Roo-kai thinks as he flies. 

Roo-kai may not be able to reach Murray Bridge before the Overland gets there, but there are others who can.

Roo-kai recalls seeing a list of the world's fastest birds.

Number one: the peregrine falcon.

Too bad Roo-kai does not know a peregrine falcon. 

Then who?

The rock pigeon was tenth. 

Rock pigeons are everywhere. And always peckish. That's it!

He flies towards the CBD.

.....

Meanwhile, on the Overland, Gaius and Pierre-Louis are enjoying their all-inclusive breakfast.

Gaius is eating baked beans with spinach and feta omelette on sourdough toast.

Pierre-Louis is regretting choosing vanilla yogurt with plum compote and crunchy granola.

Terence is exploring the carriage.

A few seats down he sees the back of a head that looks familiar.

It's the hair.

White, bushy on the sides and ...

He moves forward.

... grey and white shaggy beard, a black mo.

Grandpa Marx! shouts Terence.

Marx gets a shock.

It's years since he last saw Terence.

Terence! cries Marx. Why are you on the Overland?

Because I am, says Terence.

Are you with anyone? asks Marx.

No, says Terence.

Come and sit with me, says Marx. Although it may be difficult, as my seat is a single. I would let you sit on my lap, but these days, one shouldn't... and in any case my tray table is down and ...would you like to finish my vanilla yogurt, it's nice.

What's the red stuff? asks Terence.

Compote of plum, says Marx. Try a spoonful.

Terence swallows it down.

We're going to Melbourne, says Terence

Who is we? asks Marx. You said you weren't with anyone.

I was, says Terence. They're sitting back there.

He points back to where Gaius and Pierre-Louis are sitting. 

Marx cranes around to see the two men swapping breakfasts.

And, says Terence, we've also got Squatty. She's a fruit bat, and right now she's asleep.

Not a parrot? asks Marx.

My parrot's gone back to Gaius's house to get the drone, says Terence. Gaius forgot it.

Same old Gaius, says Marx. I must go and talk to as him as soon as I've finished my breakfast.

Can I have the rest of your compo? asks Terence.

Ha ha! laughs Marx. Compote, not compo. Compo is something completely different, a right to insurance, hard won by the working classes.

You know everything, says Terence.

But not this, says Marx. How will your parrot catch up with the train? I doubt it flies faster than we're travelling. And I imagine he's carrying a drone.

He'll make it, says Terence. He's the best parrot ever.

Even so, says Marx. It's a question of velocity.

.....

It is, and Roo-kai, the best parrot, has resolved it.

See that rock pigeon up there?


No comments: