Wednesday, March 29, 2023

The Same Fight At Bottom

The train pulls out of the Murray Bridge station.

Terence comes back to where Gaius and Pierre-Louis are sitting.

You missed all the excitement, says Gaius.

I didn't, says Terence. I swallowed some compo, and then it came back, all over me.

Compo? says Gaius.

The guard had to wipe me, says Terence. It was like a red drink, only thick.

Compote, says Pierre-Louis. I had it too. Which is why I swapped breakfasts with Gaius.

Then I spilt it, says Gaius. But not to worry, the pigeon is cleaning it up.

He indicates the rock pigeon.

A parrot! cries Terence.

Hrumph! says the rock pigeon. Don't call me a parrot.

Why is he here? asks Terence. 

He is the tenth fastest bird in the world, says Gaius. It seems Roo-kai asked him to deliver the drone to us, as he himself had no chance of meeting the deadline.

Yay! says Terence. Have we got the drone?

Yes, says Pierre-Louis, showing him the drone box.

Let me tell Squatty, says Terence.

Let her sleep, says Gaius. She'll find out soon enough.

Guess what? says Terence. Guess who gave me the compo?

No idea, says Gaius. Who?

Grandpa Marx! says Terence. He's going to Melbourne like us.

Marx! says Gaius. Where is he sitting?

Terence points, but there is no need. Marx is approaching.

There are thick red spots on his trousers.

Gaius! says Marx! Here we are on the same train!

It would appear so, says Gaius. Was it you who gave Terence the compote?

Regretfully yes, says Marx. He brought it up almost immediately.

There is some on your trousers, says Pierre-Louis.

I know, says Marx. I'm not cleaning it off. I'm hoping it will give me some street cred.

And you need street cred because...? asks Gaius.

I'm on my way to the Marxist conference, says Marx. I'm on the Opening Night Panel. The topic will be Fighting Back Against Class War Racism and The Climate Crisis.

How interesting, says Pierre-Louis. Is that one fight or two?

All fights are the same fight, at bottom, says Marx.

Grandpa knows everything, says Terence

Gaius looks doubtful. Pierre-Louis does not look impressed.

This is Pierre-Louis Maupertuis, says Gaius. He is accompanying me on a quest to find endangered Leadbeater's possums.

In Melbourne? asks Marx.

It is his turn to look unimpressed.

We'll be going on to Yellingbo, says Gaius.

I see, says Marx. By the way I think you're losing your fruit bat.

It's a rock pigeon, says Gaius. 

Well, it's getting away, says Marx.

The rock pigeon is straying further down the carriage after runaway grains of granola.

The attendant who let him on, believing he was an Easter decoration, is watching him go.


No comments: