Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Squeak Up Squattu!

Gaius comes back from washing his hands.

Best if I take the bat home, says Gaius.

Can I come too? asks Terence.

I suppose so, says Gaius. You are the best one to handle it, if it needs to be handled.

Yay Batty! says Terence. Guess what? You're going to be Gaius's drone.

What's this about? asks Gaius.

Arthur suggested Pierre-Louis and you should go halves in a drone, says Belle. 

Why would Pierre-Louis do that? asks Gaius.

If I were coming with you instead of Arthur, says Pierre-Louis. But I probably won't be.

And I said we should take Batty, says Terence. Batty wouldn't get stuck in a tree.

Batty is listening. If she doesn't squeak up soon, she will be stuck with the name Batty.

Squeak! says Batty.

What is it? asks Terence. Are you hungry?

Squeak! says Batty.

He is, says Terence. What do bats eat? 

Fruit, nectar and blossoms, says Gaius. But I don't think he's hungry.

Batty is not impressed that they think she's a boy.

Maybe she doesn't want this job after all. But she does. Come on, try girl!

Squattu! says Batty.

Squattu? says Belle. It said Squattu.

Gaius looks closely at Batty.

Aha! It's a female, says Gaius. Why didn't I notice?

Too many beers, says Vello. 

It's a cute name, says Belle.

Cool as, says Sweezus. Squattu the bat. Awesome.

Well, we'll be off, says Gaius. Coming Terence? 

He lifts the box containing Squattu, and heads for his bike.

Terence follows.

Gaius clips the box to his back pannier.

You'll have to get in with her, says Gaius. Try not to squash her.

I won't, say Terence.

Squattu hopes he doesn't mean he won't try.

Gaius heads out of Gluttony and onto the road.

Terence and Squattu bounce behind him, in the box.

If you do a good job, says Terence, you can be my second best parrot.

Squat! says Squattu.

I've already got a best parrot, says Terence.

Squat? says Squattu.

I used to live on a palace, says Terence.

Squattu also used to live on a palace. 

At least it seemed like a palace.

Squattu, says Squattu.

She talks really well, says Terence.

That will be useful, says Gaius.


No comments: