Friday, March 24, 2023

Kind Of Good Kind Of Bad

If I knew we weren't paying I'd have ordered an extra ticket, says Gaius.

For Terence? asks-Pierre Louis.

I don't need my own seat, says Terence. I'll walk up and down the carriage.

For eleven hours, says Gaius. I don't think so. 

I'll play games with Squatty, says Terence.

She'll be sleeping, says Gaius. Which is just as well, as she's probably not supposed to be on the train.

I'll practise using the drone, says Terence.

That would be worse, says Gaius. But I do realise I can't keep you confined in my back pack the whole day.

Give him some activites, says Pierre-Louis. Keep him busy.

Yes, says Terence. Give me activities.

Perhaps Pierre-Louis could organise that aspect, says Gaius. I must locate my notes on the Leadbeater's possum.

What kind of activities do you like? asks Pierre-Louis.

Skateboarding, says Terence.

I meant quiet ones , says Pierre-Louis. Drawing, for example?

Drawing what? asks Terence. 

The view from the window, says Pierre-Louis. In fact, I could give you some lessons.

I don't like lessons, says Terence.

Examples then, says Pierre-Louis. And when you've made a whole collection of views, we'll staple them together.

Like a real train, says Terence.

He has a long series of views in his mind.

Right, says Pierre-Louis. I'll go down to Officeworks and buy a sketch book, some charcoal pencils, and a rubber, in case you make any mistakes.

I don't make mistakes, says Terence.

Pierre-Louis goes out to Officewoks.

Gaius rummages through a drawer, looking for his notes on the Leadbeater's possum.

Squattu is asleep.

Terence imagines tomorrow.

He is on a long train, going fast. 

He looks out of the window, at a tree,  then down at his sketchbook.

He takes out a charcoal pencil.

He looks out of the window again.

No tree.

Wah! says Terence.

What's the matter? asks Gaius.

Can we stop the train while I finish my drawing? asks Terence.

Of course not, says Gaius. Are you worried about the speed at which the scenery will change?

Yes! says Terence. And my long drawing will be ruined.

Once we're though the Adelaide Hills you won't need to worry, says Gaius. It doesn't change all that much.

Which is kind of good news to Terence, but also kind of bad.


No comments: