Friday, December 1, 2023

I Was Oooh Hurrr Wurrr

 I'd better go, says the spotted-tailed quoll. I need to collect my reward.

What's it for? asks the Tzeet.

Finding you, says the quoll.

What is it and who's giving it? asks the Tzeet.

It was a ride in the canoe, says the quoll, but it's something else now.

That's not how rewards work, says the Tzeet.

You'd better be wrong, says the quoll.

So who's giving it? asks the Tzeet. That lobster?

The quoll realises he doesn't have that information.

Call him over, suggests the Tzeet.

He has to wait for a breeze, says the quoll. You're a bird. Why don't you fly over?

Okay, says the Tzeet.

This will give him something to do.

He flies to the middle of the lagoon and lands on the prow of the paperbark canoe.

It rocks gently.

Du Fresne has been dreaming of high winds and hornpipes, and feeling tight in the tummy.

He opens his eyes.

Looking for me? asks the Tzeet.

To know that, I need to question you further, says Du Fresne.

Go ahead, says the Tzeet.

Did you arrive in Tasmania by ferry? asks Du Fresne.

I came to Tasmania by ferry, then flew here, with my brother, says the Tzeet. Soon after that, he found a partner and began to fit in.

He did? says Du Fresne. I assume then, you didn't.

I didn't, says the Tzeet, as I explained to your crew member, with the teeth.

And then you went missing, says Du Fresne. That is understandable.

So I'm the one you are looking for? asks the Tzeet.

You are, says Du Fresne.

And there's a reward for finding me? says the Tzeet.

Not that I know of, says Du Fresne. 

Then your crew member was lying, says the Tzeet. 

He may be referring to something I said, says Du Fresne.

The Tzeet is determined to get to the bottom of this.

After all, he may be entitled to a reward for returning.

It's not a ride in this canoe, is it? asks the Tzeet. 

Who would want that? says Du Fresne, shifting uncomfortably. 

No one, says the Tzeet. 

I had no intention of seeking you, says Du Fresne, after I'd located your brother. 

What? says the Tzeet. But you're here, aren't you?

You ruined everything by going missing, says Du Fresne. My mission was over. I was oooh hurrr wurrrr.

Are you all right? asks the Tzeet.

Nurrrr, says Du Fresne. Ooogg. I suspect my annual moult is beginning. 

He clambers out of the canoe and slips gently into the water.

The Tzeet watches the bubbles as they rise to the surface and pop.


No comments: