Thursday, December 7, 2023

Not That I Know Of

Barb arrives at the lagoon.

She inflates the canoe she has borrowed from her daughter.

She gets in, and rows out to the middle.

She peers into the tea-coloured water.

What's that down there?

Looks like .....two lobsters!

But wait. Only one lobster is moving.

Rising towards her, in fact.

The lobster surfaces.

Stares at the inflatable canoe, and turns in a circle.

Stop! says Barb. 

A thousand pardons. I am somewhat confused, says Du Fresne.

Have you been in a fight with another lobster? asks Barb.

I'm the only one here, says Du Fresne.

What about that one down there? says Barb.

That is my old carapace, says Du Fresne. I have just moulted.

How thrilling, says Barb.

Permission to come aboard, says Du Fresne.

Take care, says Barb. This canoe is my daughter's. 

Very nice, says Du Fresne. I'm unlikely to harm it. 

He clambers on board the canoe, and lies back exhausted.

I suppose you are wondering why I'm here, says Barb.

To rescue me, says Du Fresne. Quite unnecessary.

Not at all, says Barb. To deliver a message from your colleagues. 

What might that be? asks Du Fresne.

They couldn't interpret your last message, says Barb.

I was underwater, says Du Fresne.

That was probably why, says Barb. They want you to resend it.

I can't do that, says Du Fresne. Not until my shell hardens.

So what was it? says Barb. Did you locate the missing orange-bellied parrot?

I believe so, says Du Fresne. The quoll was looking into it.

Quoll! says Barb. 

A trusted member of my search party, says Du Fresne.

Barb does not look convinced.

Your quoll has probably made a meal of the orange-bellied parrot, says Barb.

It assured me it wouldn't, says Du Fresne.

Hm, says Barb.

It was more interested in the reward, says Du Fresne.

There's a reward? says Barb.

Not that I know of, says Du Fresne.

Barb starts rowing, none the wiser concerning the whereabouts of the orange-bellied parrot.

But she has learned a few things about lobsters.


No comments: