Sunday, December 10, 2023

In Pursuit Of Rash Promises

The quoll is in the bird hide, thinking bad thoughts.

A human comes in.

The quoll stiffens.

The human peers out through one of the openings.

Ah, says the human. A pair of orange-bellied parrots! I wonder if the male is the missing brother?

It is, says the quoll.

Eek! says Barb. A spotted-tailed quoll! Shoo! Get out of the bird hide!

I'm going, says the quoll. But first, what do you know about the missing brother?

Are you the quoll who joined the search party? asks Barb.

Who's asking? says the quoll.

Me, Barb, says Barb. I'm a Friend of Melaleuca. I've just helped the lobster out of the lagoon.

I wish to make a complaint about that lobster, says the quoll. 

Ooh, says Barb. That could be tricky. What is it?

He promised a reward but no reward was forthcoming, says the quoll.

So you found the missing brother, says Barb.

I did, says the quoll.

And you brought him back here? says Barb.

Along with his new partner, says the quoll. You can easily spot her, because of her tail.

Is it unusual? asks Barb.

It's an emu wren feather, says the quoll. Curly.

I know what they look like, says Barb. How did she get it?

From me, says the quoll.

Mm, says Barb. Well apart from that bit of info, the rest is good news.

And apart from my lack of reward, says the quoll.

You do deserve something, says Barb. How about I phone Gaius and see if he has a suggestion?

Gaius? says the quoll.

The lobster's colleague, says Barb. He seems like a reliable person.

Go on, says the quoll. 

Barb calls Gaius.

Good news! says Barb.

Has Du Fresne found the missing Tzeet? asks Gaius.

A quoll found him, says Barb. The quoll's with me now. It was promised a reward but Du Fresne has abruptly departed.

Dear me, says Gaius. That is unfair. Tell him I'll mention him in my notes. 

He says he'll mention you in his notes, says Barb.

Will they be published online? asks the quoll.

I suppose so, says Barb. Will your notes be published online, Gaius?

Errrmm..... they could be, says Gaius, although I don't normally....

It would be a fitting reward , says Barb. And great publicity for the Friends of Melaleuca. I'll send you a photo of the quoll, so you can use it.

And the Tzeets, if possible, says Gaius. 

No worries, says Barb.



No comments: