Wednesday, December 13, 2023

The Other Brother

Barb follows the quoll, filming his progress.

Now what? says Sweetheart.

I guess he'll head for the lagoon, says Skye.

That's where he found me, says the missing brother.

You'd better go then, says Sweetheart. Or there'll be no one to find.

The missing brother flies back to the lagoon, by a circular route, to avoid being caught on camera.

You should go too, Skye, says Sweetheart. 

Okay, says Skye. 

She catches up with Barb, who is still filming.

I'm coming with you, says Skye.

Shh! says Barb. I'm filming.

Sorry, says Skye. Just letting you know that my partner's flown to the lagoon.

The missing one? says Barb.

Yes MY partner, says Skye. 

The one who played his brother just now? says Barb.

Yes him, says Skye. It won't matter, will it?

I suppose not, says Barb. But some bird watchers are sticklers for proper identification.

Well my partner IS the one who went missing, says Skye. So now he's playing himself.

Lovely, says Barb.

They reach the lagoon.

The quoll squelches round the edge until he comes to the tree where he first met the missing Tzeet brother.

The missing Tzeet brother is waiting.

Are you the missing Tzeet brother? asks the quoll.

Yes, says  the missing Tzeet brother. 

Wait here. I need to get something to eat, says the quoll. 

Why's he saying that? asks Barb.

Because he did say that, says Skye. And he ate a emu wren, and gave me the tail feather.

That's a nice detail, says Barb. So this must be where you met your new partner.

Yes, says Skye. It's my turn to be in it. How do I look?

Very pretty, says Barb.

Skye flies across to the missing Tzeet brother. 

Come back! cries Barb. You need to take off the tail feather.

Oops! says Skye, turning round.

Let me do it, says the missing Tzeet brother. 

He pulls it out from where Skye had wedged it.

Flup!

That won't do, says Barb. The quoll needs to have it.

Everyone is realising that filming a reenactment is not simple.

Tzeet! 

And to make matters worse, now the other Tzeet brother turns up!


No comments: