Friday, December 8, 2023

The Reward Is Woodchips

Barb rows to shore, and climbs out of the canoe.

She helps Du Fresne out.

Thank you, madam, says Du Fresne. Now, which way to the coast?

That way, says Barb. Or that way.  I take it you're done with the search party.

I am done with it, says Du Fresne. I never meant to form it in the first place.

So you're off, says Barb.

I am off, says Du Fresne.

Stick to the water, says Barb.

Du Fresne goes off.

Barb deflates the canoe.

....

Meanwhile the search party has returned to an area not far from the bird hide.

Sweetheart has been been watching, from her wood chip filled hollow.

Her partner's missing brother! And a female! And that quoll!

She leaves her wood chip filled hollow and flies out to meet them.

Sweetheart! cries the missing brother.

The other female looks sour

Is she your sweetheart? asks the other female.

No, my brother calls her Sweetheart, says the missing brother. YOU are my sweetheart.

We can't both be called Sweetheart, says Sweetheart.

No we can't, says the other female. I want my own name.

How about Skye? says the missing brother.

Cool, says Sweetheart. Skye's a good name for a parrot.

I love that name! says the other female. 

Where's my brother? asks the missing brother.

Yes, where is he? asks the quoll. We want the reward.

He's away finding more woodchips, says Sweetheart. What's this about a reward?

There's supposed to be one, says the quoll. It's the reason I joined the search party.

Didn't the lobster tell you? asks Sweetheart.

No, says the quoll.

Nor me, says the missing brother. He was about to, until he became poorly.

Poorly! says Sweetheart. Where is he now?

At the bottom of the lagoon as far as I know, says the missing brother.

He'll be fine, says Skye. He's a lobster.

Tzeet! 

(an alarm cry)

It's the missing Tzeet's brother

Darling! cries Sweetheart. Look who's here!

The Tzeet has returned, with a woodchip.

My missing brother! cries the Tzeet, dropping the woodchip. You've returned!

With a girlfriend, says Sweetheart. Her name is Skye.

The Tzeet looks at his brother.

Same old brother.

He looks at the girlfriend.

There is something odd about her.

What is it?

Something curly, sticking up from behind.

Best to ignore it.

They want a reward., says Sweetheart. At least the quoll does.

We all do, says Skye. We're going thirds in it.

That's so wrong! says Sweetheart. The missing one shouldn't be rewarded for finding himself.

And in fact, says the quoll, I should get all of it. SHE wasn't part of the search party. She just turned up at random.

Skye is outraged.

Calm down, says Sweetheart. You can have some of our woodchips. To help get you started.

Thanks, Sweetheart, says Skye.

Yes, thanks, says the missing brother.

Now it's the quoll's turn to be outraged.

The reward is just WOODCHIPS!


No comments: