Tuesday, April 23, 2024

A Granny-Type Name

It will soon be dark enough for frog hunting, says Gaius.

Let's eat first, says Katherine.

Yes let's, says Nerida. I'm starving.

Apples, cheese and dry biscuits, says Gaius. Washed down with spring water. What could be better?

He heads for the food tent.

Any number of things could be better, says Katherine. How about individual quiches?

Yes, says Nerida. Individual quiches would be nice.

Katherine goes to her tent and comes back with a zip-top bag which she opens.

She takes out four individual quiches.

I brought these for our first night, says Katherine.

Yum, says Nerida. And there's even one extra, because Arthur's not here.

Which one would you like? asks Katherine. There's one bacon and onion, one cheese, leek and artichoke, one asparagus and ricotta, and one sweet potato, chorizo and goat's cheese.

Asparagus and ricotta, says Nerida. 

Gaius returns with the apples, hard cheese and dry bicuits.

He sniffs. What's that aroma?

Katherine brought quiches! says Nerida.

Just for the first night, says Katherine. I know you won't mind.

Of course not, says Gaius. What a treat. First the sandwiches at lunchtime and now the quiches. What sort are they?

Katherine tells him. He chooses the one with sweet potato, chorizo and goat's cheese.

Terence and Freddy meanwhile have snuck into the food tent.

Is it time yet ? asks Greedy.

Yes, says Terence. It's night. We're going on an adventure.

Looking for frogs, says Greedy. I know.

Not frogs, says Terence. A letter.

To you, says Freddy. 

Almost exactly, says Terence.

What are you talking about? asks Greedy.

We went to see Beautiful Betsy, says Terence. And we saw a letter to Greedith and Freddy.

Greedith? says Greedy. That isn't me.

It sounds like you, says Terence.

Well it isn't, says Greedy.

Terence thinks.

Maybe it's your granny, says Terence. 

O yes, says Greedy, my granny. 

Do you agree? asks Terence.

Yes, says Greedy. Granny Greedith.

See, says Terence. Greedy agrees. I win the bet.

What bet? asks Greedy.

I said you wouldn't, says Freddy.

Wouldn't what? asks Greedy.

Agree with it, says Freddy. Being called Greedith.

Not me, my granny, says Greedy. It's a granny-type name.

Yay! says Terence. I get... wait... what do I get?

Not a horse, says Freddy.

I want to read the letter to Granny Greedith, says Greedy. 

Okay, says Terence. We'll go when the others go frog hunting.

We should take a torch, says Greedy.

Okay, says Terence. 

So it's decided. They'll go.

 

No comments: