Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Having Meant To Be Funny

Katherine and Nerida have gone shopping.

Gaius and Terence have stayed with Arthur.

A doctor comes in.

Hello, I'm Dr. Rainford, says the doctor. Let's have a look at you.

She has a quick look at Arthur.

He looks fine, except for his knees.

I see you've picked off some scabs, says Dr. Rainford.

He always does it, says Terence.

You should use Vaseline, says Dr. Rainford. The scabs slide off easily, without scarring.

I'm afraid it's my fault, says Gaius. They came off when I licked them.

You licked them? says Dr. Rainford.

An old Roman remedy, says Gaius. 

I thought the old Roman remedy was vinegar, says Dr. Rainford.

That is another one, says Gaius. But I didn't have any vinegar so I tried the saliva, even though saliva is generally for snake bites.

It's no antidote, says Dr. Rainford. But saliva does contain a protease inhibitor that helps promote healing.

There you are, says Gaius. We old Romans knew a thing or two.

As we are constantly learning, says Dr. Rainford. 

It Arthur better? asks Terence. We're going camping. I've got my own frog.

Where will you be camping? asks Dr. Rainford.

Kroombit Tops National Park , says Gaius. We'll be looking for Kroombit Tinkers.

Really? says Dr. Rainford. I heard that they're almost extinct.

My frog was almost extinct, says Terence.

He shows her his Freddo.

What's that in his head? asks Dr. Rainford.

A bead, says Terence. Arthur ate some of his head accidentally.

Dear me, says Dr. Rainford. 

He didn't mean to, says Terence.

He may suffer from headaches, says Dr. Rainford.

I don't get headaches, says Arthur.

Not you, says Dr. Rainford. The Freddo.

What will he do if he gets a headache? asks Terence.

There is very little he can do, says Dr. Rainford. But you could try licking him.

She smiles, having meant to be funny.

As for you, Arthur, says Dr Rainford. You'll be discharged in the morning. Good luck with the camping.

She leaves. 

What a knowledgeable doctor, says Gaius.

She hardly looked at me, says Arthur.

Apart from that, says Gaius. 


No comments: