Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Found One!

Right, says Gaius. Does everyone have a torch?

I have, says Nerida.

And I have, says Katherine.

Where's my torch? asks Terence.

You won't need a torch, says Gaius. You're coming with me.

But I'm your deputy senior assistant, says Terence.

Good, Terence, says Gaius. You remembered your title, although I had forgotten it. If anyone has a spare torch, you may have it.

I have, says Nerida.

She gives Terence her spare torch.

Phew! that was a close one.

Terence nearly couldn't go on his mission with Greedy and Freddy.

We'll spread out, says Gaius. Move as quietly as you can. Stop every now and then to listen for tink tink sounds. 

What do we do if we hear a tink tink sound? asks Katherine.

Make a note of the location, says Gaius. And report back to me.

Katherine goes off with her torch, through the trees, towards the sound  of trickling water.

Click click. 

That sounds like the wrong sort of frog. She keeps going.

Squelch.

Nerida heads off towards another section of water. 

She hears something. She stops to listen.

Hee hee.

Could it be a laughing tree frog?

Whatever. It's not a tinker. She keeps going.

Hee-hee.

Gaius has heard it too. 

Is that you Terence? whispers Gaius. 

No reply.

He keeps going, towards the trickling water. 

Quiet, hisses Terence. No laughing. Who remembers the way?

Not me, says Greedy. I didn't come with you the first time.

I did, says Freddy. And I have a bead in my head. Put me down.

Terence puts him down.

That way, says Freddy.

Or the opposite, says Terence. Remember the water?

Don't confuse me, says Freddy.

Okay, says Terence. 

He shines the torch in the direction that Freddy has pointed.

Trees, bushes. Dirt, stones. 

Tink tink.

Hey, whispers Greedy. Stop a minute.

They stop.

Tink tink.

Terence points his torch at the sound.

Woo!

A tiny Kroombit Tinker frog crouches, rigid, in the spotlight.


No comments: