Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Leave Him To Dangle

Gaius and Katherine have pitched their tents, without mishap.

Gaius has wriggled into his tent, feet first.

Not bad, says Gaius. My feet touch the end, but there's plenty of room for my shoulders.

And not much else, says Katherine, peering in. Luckily we have Arthur's tent, which he won't be using.

So we do! says Gaius. We can store our supplies in it. Keep them handy.

They set about pitching Arthur's tent.

Meanwhile Nerida has strung a nylon thread between her tent and Terence's.

She has cut another short length and tied one end round Freddy's middle.

Freddy can now be suspended.

She ties Freddy on.

Freddy's job has begun.

Point to water, says Terence.

I will, says Freddy.

When? asks Terence.

When I know, says Freddy.

He doesn't know, says Terence.

Leave him to dangle, says Nerida. 

She goes off to help Katherine and Gaius.

Is that Arthur's tent? asks Nerida.

Yes, we plan to store food in it, says Katherine.

And my notebooks, says Gaius. These tents are quite small.

What happens when he comes? asks Nerida.

Then we shall have to put everything back in the 4WD Wagon, says Gaius. Unless Arthur prefers to sleep in the vehicle.

Did you string Freddy up? asks Katherine.

Yes, says Nerida. I've used up most of my string.

You can re-use it, once Freddy finds water, says Gaius.

He should have found it already, says Katherine. I think I hear a trickle.

She does. There is water nearby.

Freddy also can hear it, but he has a question.

So, says Freddy.

What? asks Terence.

Which way is my bead pointing? asks Freddy.

Terence looks. 

That way, says Terence.

Could you draw it in the dirt? asks Freddy.

Terence draws it in the dirt, with his claw finger.

Okay, says Freddy. That's what I thought. But the water is the other way.

That's bad information, says Terence.

He runs to tell Gaius that Freddy has pointed in the opposite direction to the water which is bad information....

Fortunately Gaius is used to interpreting bad information.


No comments: