Sunday, April 21, 2024

Until You Didn't

 It says Dear Freddy says Terence, pointing to the word 'Edith'.

Edith, says Katherine. This word is 'Freddy'.

Freddy looks at the word Freddy. 

His word.

Now he can read it.

So, says Freddy. Connection.

You died, says Terence.

No it wasnt Freddy who died, says Nerida. It was Roy Cannon who wrote them the letter.

You're alive, says Terence, to Freddy.

Probably not though, says Katherine. If Freddy was an adult in 1945, he may well be dead now.

See, says Terence. I was right the first time.

Can I look at Beautiful Betsy? asks Freddy. 

I'll take you, says Terence.

Don't put me back in the sandwich bag! says Freddy. It stinks of salmon.

Really Gaius! says Katherine. Why did you bring him in that?

I didn't want to melt him, says Gaius.

Terence has run off with Freddy in his hand.

His hand won't melt Freddy. 

He shows Freddy Betsy's propellor.

What's that? asks Freddy.

The whizzer that fell off the front of her, says Terence. 

I could use a whizzer, says Freddy.

What for? asks Terence.

When I hang from my string, says Freddy.

Terence imagines Freddy hanging from his string with a whizzer.

You could do loop-the-loops, says Terence.

I might not use the string, says Freddy.

You could whizz round the campsite looking for water, says Terence.

And beyond, extrapolates Freddy.

Until you crashed, says Terence.

You wrecked it, says Freddy.

What did I wreck? asks Terence.

My dream, says Freddy.

Okay, says Terence. Until you didn't. 

Freddy has to be happy with that.


No comments: