Saturday, April 13, 2024

White Spots And Thumb Flap

Gaius is driving.

Nerida navigates, using Gaius's notes.

South west to Calliope, says Nerida.

Where? asks Gaius.

There's bound to be a sign, says Katherine.

She is in the back seat with Terence, and Greedy. 

There it is! says Nerida. A sign to Calliope.

Gaius turns towards Calliope. 

Now we follow the Dawson Highway to Biloela, says Nerida. 

Easy, says Gaius. How are you finding my notes?

A bit hard to read, but I'm coping, says Nerida. 

Let me see, says Katherine.

Nerida hands her the notes.

Good heavens, says Katherine. Dogson Hoy, Billaloo, how did you decode it?

Got GPS on my phone, says Nerida.

I'd stick to using that if I were you, says Katherine.

Ha ha, laughs Gaius. 

He is in a good mood.

How's it going with Greedy? asks Nerida. 

I'm leaving it all up to Terence, says Katherine.

Yes, says Terence. Greedy is all up to me.

Have you got the rubber glove we got from that nurse? asks Nerida.

Yes, says Terence. Do I blow it up first?

Yes, maybe a little, says Nerida. But not fully.

Okay, says Terence.

Have you still got the bread tie? asks Nerida.

Yes, says Terence.

Then go for it, says Nerida.

Terence blows into the disposable rubber glove. It inflates just a little. He closes it with the bread tie.

Now insert it carefully into Greedy, says Nerida.

Terence tries. Push, wriggle.....fluuurb.

Greedy looks weird, says Terence. She has white spots and her thumb isn't proper.

Greedy may look weird with white spots and a thumb flap, but her mouth is now working.

Terence! says Greedy. 

I fixed you! says Terence. Guess what! We're going to Biloola.

Biloela, says Nerida. and we're not stopping.

I don't feel quite right, says Greedy. 

Let me have Greedy, says Nerida.

Terence thrusts Greedy towards her.

I see what's wrong, says Nerida. It's a right glove!

How can a right glove be a wrong glove? asks Terence.

Nerida pulls out Greedy's insert and deflates it, deftly turns it inside out, re-inflates it, and reinserts it.

Push wriggle. But no fluuurb.

Greed is fixed.

She is, we can now assume, a left glove.


No comments: