Monday, July 20, 2009

The Aeolian Harp

What was your mother saying about the Aeolian harp? asked Pliny. And the seagulls?

Is that all you can say after reading my lovely description of the sea? I countered, somewhat miffed. What did you think of my spiders' legs stew? And my greygold waves backlit by the sun?

Jiggery pokery! said Pliny. I prefer a plain description. But I will acknowledge that you were trying very hard to paint the sea in words. Perhaps you should buy yourself a camera. However, I am interested in this Aeolian harp, and why it was silent on a windy day.

I don't know, Pliny. It used to hum noticeably when it was first constructed. I remember walking underneath it and thinking it might drive people mad. Perhaps it did. Perhaps they had to tighten up the wires and shut it up.

Ha ha, laughed Pliny. These Aeolian harps are never any good. A foolish Greek invention. I remember some lines of Coleridge:

...................this Aeolian lute,
Which better far were mute.

That's impressive, Pliny, you knowing Coleridge like that.

Oh yes, I am good friends with Coleridge. But what was it your mother said about the harp?

The seagulls never used to sit on it, but now they do
For see! the harp is covered with white seagull poo.

No comments: