Friday, July 17, 2009

Sad Mustard in the Pumpkin Patch

I knew this mustard jacket made me look peculiar. Today I had confirmation.

I bought it two years ago, on Ebay.

In the photograph the mustard jacket had looked smarter than it turned out to be. When it arrived in the post my heart sank. When I tried it on I looked like Paddington Bear. I vowed I would never, ever wear it. I would, however, keep it in the wardrobe, in case we had a visitor who hadn't brought a jacket and wanted to go for a walk one cold evening.

We never had that visitor.

But the jacket was so warm. I took to wearing it on night time walks. More recently I've worn it in the daylight. At least two members of my family have said, You know, that jacket looks alright.

And so I was wearing it today, in the city. It was cold. I had a long brown scarf on, and was carrying a black handbag with an umbrella poking out.

I went into Pumpkin Patch, a shop that sells childrens' clothes. In Pumpkin Patch a little girl was sitting perched on a high stool while her mother looked at clothes. When she saw me, she wrinkled up her nose.

No comments: