Friday, July 3, 2009

Resolution

A paradox! I said, derisively. The spleen can't make you laugh!

It can, said Pliny. You say you know your Shakespeare. In Twelfth Night, Maria says " If you desire the spleen, and would laugh yourself into stitches, follow me." Here is evidence that Shakespeare himself thought laughter was governed by the spleen.

Pliny! Have you been reading Shakespeare? Good for you!

Not exactly. I have been googling Shakespeare. It saves a deal of time.

You miss a lot that way, I remarked.

Indeed, said Pliny, there is far too much to read these days. But tell me, are you convinced?

Hmmm. Perhaps. It may explain something that happened yesterday. I met my mum in town.
We walked out of David Jones into the bright sunlight on North Terrace. She asked me how my hair had turned out. She knew I'd just put a new colour in it. No different, I said, although it's supposed to be 3 toned. She looked hard at my head. I can't see any chestnut, she remarked.
But it looks a little blue.

Does this have anything to do with the spleen? asked Pliny, looking lost.

It may. I felt mightily ill-humoured, but I laughed a silly laugh.

No comments: