Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Some Degree of Gravity

Pliny, I said, this isn't like you. Why are you being so dismissive of Newton?

I've been working too hard, said Pliny. I apologise, to you and to Newton. His laws are fine laws, with the charm of simplicity, at least as presented by you.

True, Pliny. Although I think I had the second law the wrong way round. Which would answer your objection about clouds.

Let us not go into reverse, said Pliny, pleasantly. I am looking forward to your explanation of the Law of Universal Gravitation.

Another simple one, I said airily. It states that all objects with mass attract one another. That includes everything. For example yesterday, I was at a Tea and Symphony concert and at the end all the ladies gravitated towards the scones.

Wait, said Pliny, I assume that the degree of attraction depends on the size of the objects in question ?

Yes, Pliny, That's why when we drop things they fall to the ground.

Well then, shouldn't the scones have gravitated towards the ladies, rather than the ladies gravitating towards the scones?

In a perfect world, Pliny, I expect that is what would have happened. I see that I shall now have to introduce you to the topic of vectors.

No comments: