Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Pairings

Le Bon David writes well, says Pliny the Elder admiringly. I liked his first edition. He combines a skill in philosophical argument with a pleasing facility of description which you would do well to emulate.

Thanks, Pliny, I try, but I'll never be as good as him. I liked the way he drew our attention to the little white fingernail shells, and the crunching sounds they made when the bicycle went over them.

Yes, and the repetition of the image in the description of the foam, that was masterful.

It was. Do you know the sort of shells he was referring to, by the way?

I believe I do. The bivalved molluscs known as Pipi. They remind me of fingernails too. Which reminds me to ask, are you feeling poorly this morning? I see you have been wearing a big black scarf wound twice around your neck indoors. And sitting with a blue polar fleece decorated with dolphins folded double and tucked around your middle. That is not like you.

Well spotted, Pliny. Yes I have the beginnings of a sore throat and I'm trying to ward it off by keeping warm. But why did fingernails remind you to ask me that?

Because, says Pliny, I am reminded of a cure which magicians used to say would never fail.

What is it?

They recommend the parings of fingernails be thrown at the entrance of ant holes, and that the first ant to come out and try to draw one into the hole should be captured and attached to the neck of the patient. They say the patient will then experience a speedy cure.

No comments: