Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Going Over

Thank you, Pliny, that was very interesting. And you managed to fit it into twenty lines, as well.

No, I do believe I went a little over.

Only because you started to grumble about having to stop. The last two lines don't really count.

Really? Then I could have made a short digression on the spleen?

Yes, I suppose you could have. What would you have said?

I would have said that the spleen was considered by Aristotle to be unnecessary. Indeed the Greeks recognised that both animals and men are able to run faster without it. This led to the practice of athletes having their spleen cauterized before a race.

That's hard to believe, Pliny! Are you sure?

Do you doubt me? Furthermore, it is known that the condition known as splenomegaly makes a person susceptible to silly laughter. Splenectomy, therefore, results in the cessation of laughter and the subsequent development of a serious look.

Oh Pliny! Would that be why athletes generally have a very serious look when they are running?

No, I do not think the practice has continued to the present day.

No comments: