Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Confessions

Surely your mother did not say anything so vulgar! said Pliny sternly. Not to mention that she seems to have spoken uncharacteristically in rhyme.

Of course she didn't, Pliny. I just couldn't resist it, and it serves you right for boasting that you're friends with Coleridge. I bet you only googled him. I bet you're only friends with him the same way I could say that I'm friends with Jean-Jacques Rousseau.

Oh? And in what way are you friends with him? asked Pliny, with a sniff.

I'm reading about him. I just finished Rousseau's Dog. Now I'm reading his Confessions. I feel I know him very well indeed.

Imagine that, said Pliny. I myself am following him on Twitter. He appears to be doing very well in the Tour de France.

But Pliny, he's a philosopher.

Indeed he is, and a very witty one. Only this morning he tweeted this gem: Man is born free but is everywhere in chains. A reference to his bicycle, do you see?

No comments: