Friday, April 2, 2010

Jesus' Diary - Part 3

Would you two like to come to the beach with us this afternoon? I asked Jesus and Pliny the Elder.

The beach? said Pliny, looking doubtful.

Yes we would, said Jesus. I like going to the beach. Are we taking a picnic?

Yes we are, I said. Get ready. We're leaving at half past twelve.

Some time later we were walking along the beach at Semaphore, at low tide. Silvery channels of water dribbled into the sea, and seagulls stood in them, preening. We could see their reflections upside down under their feet.

Look, said Jesus. They look as though they're walking on water.

So they do, said Pliny. You are most observant. You would make a good natural historian.

Perhaps I would, sighed Jesus, but I never write anything down.

Well what's stopping you? I asked. I remember last year you were thinking of starting a diary.

I was, said Jesus. I even bought a diary. But I couldn't think of anything to write.

Nonsense, said Pliny. Just write down your observations.

Who would want to read them? asked Jesus.

Lots of people, said Pliny firmly.

Perhaps I will have another go, said Jesus.

No comments: