Monday, April 19, 2010

Not More Insect Adventures!

I have more interactions with insects than with any other creatures. Take yesterday afternoon.

There I was, sitting in an armchair in the bank, waiting to deposit some cash. It was very busy in the bank, and every armchair was occupied. That is why I was sitting next to another person. If it isn't busy, you leave an empty chair between yourself and the next person, in a bank.

Suddenly I felt something tickling my bare arm. I looked down to see what it was. It was a tiny insect. So tiny that, had another person spotted it, they might well have thought I was suffering from some sort of infestation, of which the tiny bug was evidence.

Fortunately, the insect was on my left arm, and the person I was sitting next to was on my right. Also, I was on the end of a row, so there was no one next to me on the side where the tiny insect was walking down my arm.

Therefore I made bold to put on my glasses, and take a closer look at the tiny insect. It was indeed a very tiny one, but with my glasses on I could see that it had wings. I caught it up on my finger and took a closer look. It flew away. But seconds later I could feel it walking down my leg. It was a hot day and I was wearing shorts.

Perhaps it was the hotness of the day that caused me to do nothing. I think another person would have flicked the tiny insect off at this point. After all any one observing could be forgiven for concluding that I was infested with at least two insects. In fact the thought did cross my own mind momentarily. But there was just the one. I sat in my armchair, letting the tiny insect walk wherever it liked all over my leg, while I waited for my number to be called.

No comments: