Friday, August 10, 2012

Nodding Off

Stacey continued reading the story of the ifrit and the fisherman.

The fisherman tricked the ifrit into getting back inside the bottle.

Then the ifrit promised to do something good for the fisherman if he would let him out again.

Arthur knew this story. He nodded off.

Gaius half-opened one eye. He was warm and comfortable with the blanket and the pillow. It was Arthur's turn for the pillow but he appeared to have nodded off. Gaius went back to sleep.

Stacey's voice penetrated Gaius's sleeping conscience.

He dreamed he was an ifrit, newly let out of a bottle.

A fisherman who looked remarkably like Arthur had let him out.

Now I must kill you, said Gaius, to the fisherman who looked like Arthur.

But it was I who let you out, said the fisherman who looked like Arthur.

Unfortunately I have made a vow, said Gaius. But there is a way to avoid your fate. There is a sultan living in a kingdom far away. His name is Tray-Nee. Tray-Nee owns a wondrous glittering knife, such a knife as has never been seen anywhere.

I see, said the fisherman who looked like Arthur. I suppose you want the glittering knife?

Yes, I do, said Gaius. If you bring it to me, I will not have to kill you.

What if I don't come back? asked the fisherman who looked like Arthur.

Then I can keep the pillow, said Gaius.

Gaius woke up, and poked Arthur.

I had the strangest dream, he said.

So did I, said Arthur. It was about a knife.







No comments: