Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Wanted For Comparison

Arthur bent down and jiggled the knife around in the cleft of the replica rock.

There was a scraping sound, and a rasping intake of breath.

Anyone there? said Arthur.

No, said a voice.

Shut up, Baby Pierre, said another voice.

Sorry, said the voice of Baby Pierre.

Arthur put two and two together.

Ageless? he said.

At last! Someone who knows me! exclaimed the rasping voice. Yes, I am Ageless.

Come out, said Arthur. I won't hurt you. I am Arthur Rimbaud.

Ageless edged his way out, backwards. The last part to come out was his claw.

He looked around suspiciously.

Where's that Curator? said Ageless. If he's here I'm going back in.

Why? asked Arthur. Have you done something wrong?

No! said Ageless. He wants me for a comparison.

What's wrong with that? said Arthur. This is a museum. They do comparisons.

Not with me, said Ageless. That's why I was lying low. So was Baby Pierre. Come out, Baby Pierre!

Baby Pierre appeared from the cleft in the replica rock.

Haha! said Arthur. You're a stone! You ought to meet Ouvert and Lavender.

Ouvert and Lavender, cried Baby Pierre. Are they here?

Do you know them? asked Arthur.

They're only my friend and my cousin! said Baby Pierre. Where are they?

They were talking to Gaius, said Arthur. About private parts. It was disgusting. That's why I left.

Take me to them, said Ageless.

No, said Arthur. They're coming here. We'll just wait.

He turned. Someone was framed in the doorway, but he couldn't see who it was.

He turned back to Ageless and Baby Pierre.

They had vanished again.



No comments: