Friday, August 3, 2012

Not Coming Exactly But Going

Look Aunty Kobo, said Lavender. It's Ouvert. He's come back!

Yes, I've come back, said Ouvert. But I'm leaving at once.

How rude you are, said Lavender. Isn't he rude, Aunty Kobo.

Kobo rocked back and forth on the window sill.

Ouvert, she said. Oh yes I remember Ouvert. Two mouths, am I right? You were reading Rimbaud?

Yes, Arthur's my friend, said Ouvert. But never mind him. Where's Baby Pierre?

You already know! declared Lavender. I heard Gaius tell you. He's gone off with Ageless to look for the Claw. And they were horrid. They wouldn't take me.

 Kobo sighed.

You told them you didn't want to go.

But I did want to go, said Lavender. I wanted them to ask me to go.

So you didn't get to go, said Kobo. It's all your own fault.

Where did they go? asked Ouvert impatiently. I'm going too.

I'm coming with you, said Lavender. Because I know where they went. They went on the bus.

No, said Kobo, they went on the train.

Oh, said Lavender. Yes, they went on the train.

When did they leave? asked Ouvert.

Yesterday, said Kobo. Well goodbye then, you two. Don't forget to take something to read. 

We won't need anything to read Aunty Kobo, said Lavender. It will be far too exciting, looking for the Claw.

Pooh! Who said you were coming anyway? said Ouvert.

I'm not COMING exactly, said Lavender. I'm GOING. And you can come with me if you like.

.........

Meanwhile Arthur was becoming more and more bored. Gaius had told him everything he knew about the mysterious Claw. It was a giant claw. It had been found with other fossils in the desert in Central Australia. It was millions of years old. And Gaius the natural historian needed to see it for himself. Perhaps it was the claw of the mythical giant Varan! This had the makings of an interesting scientific paper...... 

Yes, yes, said Arthur, so it does. Well good luck with all that. Now  I'd better be leaving, I promised to meet up with Sweezus and Belle...... 

Oh, but you'll be coming with me I trust? said Gaius. I need someone reliable....

No, said Arthur. I'm notoriously unreliable.....

No, no, said Gaius. You have just proved yourself very reliable, looking after Ouvert......do please sit down.

With a sinking feeling, Arthur sat down.


  

No comments: