Friday, August 24, 2012

A Tiny Map

Arthur felt in his pocket. Yes, he still had the knife. But it was bandages he was really after. He felt something stiff and dragged it out. It was a dirty old bandage. Good.

Arthur stopped at the side of the Stuart Highway and wrapped up one knee.

Would you like me to take over? asked Ageless.

Didn't know you could ride, said Arthur.

Didn't know I could ride! said Ageless. Tell him, Baby Pierre.

Ageless rode in the Tour Down Under last year, said Baby Pierre.

What team? asked Arthur.

Team Crustacean, said Ageless. Unfortunately we were involved in a crash, thanks to Starpuss. She was part of our team, but she was...... .dead, so we had to pull her along in a box on wheels.

I saw that on tv said Arthur. It was a good crash.  She was a octopus, right?

To be honest, said Ageless, I can't remember what she was, only that she was a liability. Do you want me to ride this bicycle or not?

Then what would I do? said Arthur. I can't get in the wire basket.

You would wait here, said Ageless. I would go on ahead.

And then what? said Arthur. I don't see the point.

You don't know where you're going, said Ageless. You don't have a map..

And you wouldn't come back, said Arthur. I've heard about you. But you're right, I don't have a map.

Unreliable, said Ageless, shaking his head.

Just like you, said Arthur.

Lavender looked at Ouvert.

Is that like unfaithful? she asked.

Ouvert grinned his fishy grin.

'Fraid so, he said.

Lavender looked at Baby Pierre, her last hope,

I have a map, said Baby Pierre. But it's tiny.

Don't we just keep going straight? said Arthur.

We turn right, said Baby Pierre.










No comments: