Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Nothing To Lose

Arthur rowed back to shore, tied up the dinghy and picked his way over the shell-encrusted rocks. He was going to have to walk all the way back to La Rochelle in the dark.....and then find a letter box, and post Ouvert.......and find somewhere to sleep until morning.......and then catch a train to Paris...... and then make his way to the airport.....

The thought struck him that Ouvert had made this journey quite recently. Maybe he shouldn't post Ouvert after all. Ouvert might be useful.

By now, he was in La Rochelle.He was standing in front of a letter box. He reached inside his pocket, and pulled out the envelope. It tore open easily because it was wet.

Where am I? said Ouvert, gasping loudly.

La Rochelle, said Arthur. I'm not posting you after all.

Whee! said Ouvert.

Then he thought of something.

Arthur! Don't leave me HERE!

I'm not leaving you here, said Arthur. I'm taking you with me, on the train and the plane. And I'll drop you at Gaius's house.

Whee! said Ouvert.

Then he thought of something else.

Not Gaius's house. He doesn't like me.

Where then? said Arthur, regretting his decision already.

I'll stay with you, said Ouvert. I'm lucky, you know.

No you aren't, said Arthur. Tell me, why doesn't Gaius like you?

Jealous, said Ouvert. Everyone's jealous of me.

I'm not jealous of you, said Arthur.

Everyone who's got something to lose, said Ouvert.

Arthur liked that.

Come on Ouvert, he said, dropping him back in his pocket. Let's go to the station.




No comments: