Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Japanese Battleships

Gaius left his bicycle outside and went into the Museum to look for Dr Yates.

Dr Yates was still sitting by the replica waterhole, thinking about Part Two of Arthur's poem. He couldn't help thinking it lacked a certain degree of authenticity. Had the Japanese ever visited Central Australia in battleships? Surely not.

Gaius came up to the waterhole.

Good afternoon, you must be Dr Yates, said Gaius.

I am, said Dr Yates.

My name is Gaius Plinius Secundus, said Gaius. I am a natural historian, interested in your recent discovery of a giant claw.

What an honour, said Dr Yates. You must come round the back and see it. This is just a replica waterhole, here.

I knew that, said Gaius. I could tell at once. A real waterhole is not usually found inside a museum.

True enough, said Dr Yates. Do come this way.

He led the way to a small room out the back that was full of desks and shelves. On all the desks and shelves were various lengths of bones and several claws.

This is the giant one, said Dr Yates. What do you think?

It's very big , said Gaius.

That's just what I said, agreed Dr Yates. In fact I was quoted in the newspapers and on the internet saying that very thing.

That is not in itself remarkable, said Gaius.

I suppose not, said Dr Yates. Nevertheless, it's the only thing we know about it so far.

I should like to visit Alcoota Scientific Reserve, where it was found, said Gaius.

What a pity, we had an open day last month, said Dr Yates. You've missed it. But I'll tell you what, I'm going there on the weekend in my Jeep. Would you like to come along?

I would indeed, said Gaius. As long as I can bring my bicycle.

It will probably fit in the back, said Dr Yates.

And Arthur, said Gaius, suddenly remembering Arthur.

Is he with you? said Dr Yates, surprised.

He is my right hand man, said Gaius.

Very well, said Dr Yates. Anything else you'd like to bring?

Ageless, said Gaius, I'm sure he would like to come, and Baby Pierre and I suppose Ouvert and Lavender..

Any Japanese battleships? asked Dr Yates sarcastically.

But Gaius had no idea what he was talking about.

No comments: