Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Scuffling

Now, Monsieur Verlaine, says mum, I must go back to the others, but I want you to promise me something.

Paul doesn't say anything.

I want you to promise you won't drive back to the caravan park in that state, says mum. If you need to get back today, you must let one of us drive you.

Get Arthur, says Paul.

Well, says mum doubtfully, I didn't mean Arthur. I don't think Arthur can drive.

She goes back to join the others. They are all peering at something.

What have you found? asks mum.

Mum! says Irma. Arthur found a zircon! It was in Lavender's bucket!

Let me see, says her mum.

The zircon is small and brownish-orange. Some of the brownish-orangeness is dirt, and some is the zircon.

We must get it polished, says dad. It looks like a good one. No cracks.

It's mine, says Lavender. My zircon.

You're so lucky, says Irma. What will you do with it, Lavender?

Put it in my box, says Lavender. When I get it.

Oh yes, the BOX, says mum. I'll go and find you a box.

She goes to the tent and comes back with a small cardboard box.

She puts the zircon in the box and then picks up the Blu Tack impression of Lavender.

Do you want this in the box too? asks mum.

Yes please, says Lavender.

Mum puts it in, and then places the lid on the box.

Now both Lavender's treasures are in the same box.

She is happy with that.

But she is not happy for long.

A scuffling breaks out inside the box.

Oh! cries Lavender. Open it! Oh, hurry! It may be too late!



No comments: