Monday, October 22, 2012

The Curse Of The Curse

The archery event is over. Baruch is the clear winner with multiple bullseyes.

What a whiz you are at archery! says David. Well done, Baruch!

Thank you, David, says Baruch. I practice a lot. Would you all care to join me for a late picnic lunch?

Very kind, says David. We'll be delighted.

David! says The VeloDrone. Have you forgotten what he's having for lunch?

Don't worry, says Baruch. Your friend has nothing to fear.

They find a seat in the shade and sit down.

What made you take up archery, Baruch? asks The VeloDrone, biting into a bagel.

The curse, says Baruch.

Good heavens, says Gaius, nibbling a celery stick. What curse is that?

Ageless pokes his head out of the basket, and waves a claw at Arthur.

Arthur lifts him out.

It stinks of smoked salmon in there, says Ageless. Do I smell?

Dear me, has it gone off? says Baruch. I tell you, this curse is a.....curse.

Tell us about it, says David, spooning bean salad onto a cardboard plate.

It happened when I was just twenty three, says Baruch. I had published my philosophical musings, explaining why god and nature are one. I had mathematical theorems derived from my propositions, as beautiful as any geometry. But the Talmud Torah Congregation of Amsterdam didn't like it. They said it was wicked and wrong. They issued a cherem, or curse.

How does it go? asks Gaius, chewing a limp piece of rocket.

It's quite comprehensive, says Baruch. It goes like this:

Cursed be he ( that's me) by day and by night,
When he lies down, and when he gets up,
When he goes out, and when he comes in.

Superb!says The VeloDrone. It covers everything.

Everything except sport, says Baruch.

The VeloDrone and Le Bon David exchange glances. They can both see holes in this exception. Surely one must get up and go out to play sport either by day or by night?

But surely...says Gaius, who has just had the very same thought. Then he stops.

Ageless is whispering to Arthur.

Arthur gets up.

Baruch is eying Ageless. And he has taken something out of his basket.

It looks like .....lobster cutlery!



No comments: