Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Zircon That Bites

Dad opens the box.

Bad news, says dad.

He lifts out the Blu-Tack impression of Lavender, and places it gently on the table, next to Lavender.

Lavender turns slowly until she is face to face with the Blu Tack impression of herself.

It's RUINED, says Lavender.

Never mind, says mum, it's only Blu Tack. We can make it again.

I don't want it made out of Blu Tack again, says Lavender. I want it made out of something that lasts. And where is that zircon?

Dad lifts out the zircon.

Ouch! says dad. It bit me!

Nonsense, Reg, says mum.

Look, says Reg.

He shows her the bite marks.

Wow! says Lavender. I love my zircon! It bites. Look Arthur. It bites.

Arthur looks at Reg's finger. Then he picks up the zircon.

Irma and Emma are impressed. Arthur is brave.

The zircon does nothing to Arthur.

You live a charmed life, Arthur, says mum.

Arthur thinks about that. Is it true?

Do you think so? he says.

More charmed than your friend, says mum. He's very drunk.

That's normal, said Arthur.  Did he say anything about me?

He's writing a poem about you, says mum. About how it rains in his heart.

Oh that one, says Arthur.

And he asked me to ask you to .....begins mum.

But Arthur has already walked off in the direction of Paul Verlaine's car.













No comments: