Sunday, October 28, 2012

Arthur Sets Himself A Challenge

What are you doing at the Alice Springs Masters Games? asks Iva. You're too young to be competing.

It's a long story, says Arthur. Too long.

Iva nods sagely. His story is also too long.

Arthur wants to ask about YouTube, but doesn't want to seem foolish.

He says nothing and waits.

It's so cool you're here, says Iva.

Why is it cool that he's here? asks Ageless.

Good, Ageless has asked. Maybe now he'll find out.

He's been inspirational to us songwriters since .... I don't know..... the sixties... says Iva. Yeah, James Morrison, Patti Smith, Bob Dylan........

Arthur wonders who they are.

Who are they? asks Ageless, on cue.

Famous songwriters, says Iva, like me. Here. Grab hold of this cable for me while I stick this plug into this socket.

Arthur grabs hold of the cable. Iva sticks the plug into a socket.

You'd make a good roadie, says Iva. But hey, Arthur, can you sing?

I can play the piano, says Arthur. I learned from a barman in London.

How about doing a guest spot with us tonight? asks Iva. That would be brilliant.

Alright, says Arthur.

Ha ha! Our friends'll get a surprise, says Ageless.

Who are your friends? asks Iva. Lobsters, or poets?

No, says Arthur. Philosophers mainly.

Woah! says Iva. I'm into philosophy. Who?

The VeloDrone, says Arthur, aka Voltaire. And Le Bon David. That's David Hume.

I know them, says Iva. They edit that online cycling magazine Velosophy. I always read that. Except it hasn't come out for a while..

You left out Mr Spin-ooza, says Ageless. And Pliny the Elder.

And them, says Arthur.

Gee! says Iva. I bet you get to hear some interesting conversations. I'd like to meet them!

You will tonight, says Ageless. Won't he, Arthur?

Arthur doesn't reply. He is miles away. Thinking about his guest spot with Icehouse. What will he play? It's a long time since he played the piano.

No comments: