Friday, August 9, 2013

A Day Under Sixty

Young Dawkins watches as Arthur walks over to Ageless. Arthur still has the knife.

He jabs the point of the knife towards Ageless.

Ageless takes a step back. They appear to be having a row.

They turn and come back to Young Dawkins.

Ageless speaks first.

Settle this, says Ageless. Did I come in first?

Of the two of you, you came in first, says Young Dawkins.

Then I couldn't have been following him, says Ageless. And he has no right to cut off my appendages.

Certainly not, says Young Dawkins. We don't encourage violence here. We are peacable people of words.

Ooh, says Ageless rudely. Peacable people of words. And you are?

Young Dawkins, says Young Dawkins. The host of the Slam, previous winner and runner up.

Funny name you've got , says Ageless. You don't look a day under sixty.

Young Dawkins smiles a watery smile.

And you are? says Young Dawkins.

Ageless, says Ageless. But before you come up with a clever riposte, I am.....

Too late. Young Dawkins is spluttering with laughter, spraying yellow macaron crumbs all around.

What does the sacrificial poet do? says Arthur.

He performs the first poem, says Young Dawkins. So we get an idea of how the judges are marking. The points scheme is quite complicated. Do you have a suitable poem?

Yes, says Arthur. I just wrote it. It has a sweet yellow line.

Good, says Young Dawkins. People are arriving.

They are.

Here is Belle et Bonne carrying Kobo in a basket.

Arthur! cries Belle et Bonne. What are you doing here? And Ageless! We thought you'd been eaten!

Not eaten, says Ageless, but everything else has gone wrong. Arthur wants to cut off my appendages.

Arthur! says Belle. You do not!

Don't I , says Arthur. Yes I do. And you! Why is everyone following me? Can't I have any privacy?

What about me? says Ageless. I was promised my Beloved.

A soft expellation of air arises from the basket. A sigh. Difficult to interpret its tone.


No comments: