Saturday, August 24, 2013

The Old Children's Bookshelf's Broken Window

They look at one another and the broken window.

Should we call the police? says Belle et Bonne.

Why would we do that? says Arthur.

He bends down and puts his face up to the shards of broken glass.

Don't cut yourself, says Rosie.

Ageless are you in there? calls Arthur softly.

They hear a scuffling sound, and Ageless's head appears.

Get me out, says Ageless. This bookshop's just for children.

How did you get in? says Belle et Bonne.

Kobo got me in, says Ageless. She's behind me somewhere.

Belle is suspicious.

When you say she got you in, what do you mean exactly?

I mean she broke the window for me, answers Ageless.

Go the sisterhood. A girl has done it! But this is not the time to feel superior.

We'll help you out, says Belle, but first we need to see Kobo.

Ageless disappears. In half a minute he reappears with Kobo.

She's a rock! gasps Rosie. That's how she broke the window.

He told you that? says Kobo. That's rich. The workman blames his tool.

Ahem, says Ageless. Beloved. We worked seamlessly together to gain access to the bookshop.

A useless sort of bookshop, says Kobo. Unless you are a minor. It's all children's books and annuals. And Greyladies novels, which are not my taste at all.

Picky-picky, says Ageless. A book's a book if it has pages.

Kobo sighs.

If you wish to win back my affection, Ageless, you will take that back. You cannot mean it. Remember The Woman In The Dunes and how it brought us both together?

Ageless considers. Yes, he does remember. The endless words. The shifting suffocating sand.

I know that novel, says Rosie. It's Japanese. Is that the sort of book you both like reading? I can recommend a fabulous bookshop. Elvis Shakespeare. It's in Leith Walk, not that far away.

Let's all go there tomorrow, says Belle et Bonne. Arthur, want to come?

Yes, says Arthur. Elvis Shakespeare. My knees feel itchy. I do want to come .


No comments: