Friday, August 30, 2013

The Moral Complexities Of Ownership

The river rushes by. The gold coin gleams in the sunshine, held aloft by Ageless. A kingfisher darts at something moving through the water. Splash!

Thud!

The sound is coming from Belle's open backpack.

Look! cries Belle. That otter's stealing something from my backpack!

Rosie grabs the bucket. She runs over to the backpack and brings the bucket down over the otter.

Arthur claps. That Rosie is quick witted.

Now what? says Belle.

I guess we let it go, says Rosie.

Not before it gives me back my book! shouts Kobo, from deep down in the backpack.

Ageless drops the coin and sidles over. He pokes his head into the backpack.

If it's true that Kafka By The Shore is missing, it seems fair that he should keep the three pounds fifty. If he ever gets it from that skinflint Arthur.

Kobo, my beloved, are you intact? says Ageless. O how brave you are.

Kobo emerges from the backpack.

He came upon me from behind, says Kobo. Started reading over my shoulder. Then he said Kawai, or something like that. He grabbed the book and ran away.

No beloved, says Ageless. He didn't run away. Rosie caught him under the new bucket. He is in there as we speak.

A noise comes from the bucket. The sound of paper being eaten.

It is the otter, eating Kafka By The Shore.

Stop him, says Kobo. That's my book he's eating.

Technically, beloved, it's my book, says Ageless.

No, technically it's my book, says Belle et Bonne. I paid for it.

But it was a gift, says Kobo.

Chomp chomp chomp. The otter keeps on eating. He has eaten all the way to chapter 22.

Not from me, says Belle. It was a gift from Ageless. And he hasn't paid me yet. Therefore it wasn't his to give.

Arthur kicks the bucket. It topples over. There is nothing in it.

Hideo pokes his head up from the water. He pulls himself out on to the riverbank and stands there dripping.

Apologies, says Hideo.

What for? says Arthur.

It was the only copy in the bookshop, says Hideo.


No comments: