Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Nature Of Reality

On the way to World's End they continue their discussion on the nature of reality.

Rosie has her own ideas.

Let's say you're walking along, says Rosie, on a footpath, just like this one, and you think you see a flower.

I see a flower, says Arthur.

No, says Rosie. You THINK you see a flower, and you think, Oh! A flower on the pavement! How beautiful! Even if it's been flattened. It's still a flower.

But it isn't? says Arthur, wondering what she means.

It's flattened, says Rosie. But it isn't a flower. As you get closer you see it's a piece of squashed pie, or a burst balloon, or, you know, a dead rat's innards.

Arthur likes this way of thinking.

And the question is, says Arthur, is it still beautiful when you know it's a dead rat's innards.

Exactly, says Rosie. What do you think?

I think, says Arthur, that most people would say it isn't, but I would say it is.

Rosie nods. She thinks the same, and she knows that many people wouldn't. It seems that Arthur is her type.

They arrive at the World's End and go in.

Someone hails Arthur from a table in the corner.

Arthur! Arthur! We're over here!

It's Belle et Bonne, with David and Vello. The World's End has become their favourite pub.

Belle orders more drinks and they all sit down together.

Arthur, says Belle. You have a hole in your pocket. Look a bandage is trailing out at the bottom.

Arthur looks down. Tries to tuck the bandage in. The last gold coin falls out.

Oops, says Rosie, look, you dropped this. Wow! Is that a  genuine gold coin?

My last one, says Arthur. I used to have three. Spent one, lost one.

I suppose it fell out of your pocket, says Belle et Bonne. You'd better get that pocket mended.

Just then the playwright enters. He comes up to their table.

You lost this, says the playwright, handing the gold coin back to Arthur. I thought I'd find you here.  Mind if I join you?

No one minds.

The playwright sits down. Tells them his name is David Leddy.

My name is David too, says David. David Hume.

A famous name, says David Leddy. Does it cause you any grief?

No not really, says David, puzzled. Why should it?

Has anybody got a needle and thread? says Belle et Bonne. I can't stand looking at that bandage hanging out of Arthur's shorts.

I have, says Rosie. But I can't sew.

Me either, says Belle et Bonne.

Both of them lying.

Good for them.


No comments: