Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Walking Out Does Not Look Like Coming In

Edinburgh is large and populous. How will Arthur find Paul Verlaine?

He could pick up a Fringe Guide and check out the poetry gigs.

But Arthur doesn't think of that.

He walks up and down the Royal Mile looking at faces.

Some of the faces are three dimensional faces, and some are on posters.

He stops to examine a long wall of posters. There is one advertising the BBC Edinburgh Fringe Poetry Slam. Yes, no doubt Paul will be there.

He takes note of the dates and the times, twisting the knife in his pocket, careless of the yellow macarons.

......

Belle et Bonne is surprised how well Kobo has taken the news about Ageless. She wants to go out on the town.

The Festival is on, says Kobo. I know because I heard someone talking down at reception. He said he was here for the Slam.

What is the Slam? says Belle et Bonne.

A poetry competition, says Kobo. I know that because he was a poet. He said so.

You know a lot, for a fossilised clam, says Belle et Bonne. I didn't realise how well you could function.

I'm like a sponge,says Kobo. Ha ha, only joking. But I do tend to get rather bored.

Then we'll go to the Slam, says Belle et Bonne. It sounds quite exciting. I'll check out when it's on.

.........

Paul Verlaine is already at the venue. He keeps reading and re-reading his poem. He is nervous.

Ageless lobster walks in and sits down.

Mon Dieu! says Paul Verlaine. Ageless! I last saw you in Alice Springs. What are you doing here?

Ageless is taken aback.

Nothing, says Ageless. I was just leaving.

You were not just leaving, says Paul Verlaine. I know what just leaving looks like. It does not look like coming in and sitting down.

All right, smarty trousers, says Ageless. But don't worry. I'm not following you.

So you are following someone? says Paul.

It seems Paul has recently become more intelligent.

No, says Ageless. I just love.... err...poems and such.

You are in the right place then, says Paul. Soon the Poetry Slam heats will begin. Now please remain silent, I am busy rehearsing.

Ageless is silent. Should he leave now? This is awkward.

He is about to walk out when in walks Young Dawkins.


No comments: