Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Secret Weapon

Belle and Arne have gone back to Corny's house, with Terence.

Hi, everyone, says Belle. Meet my friend Arne. Arne this is Vello, my papa, David, Corny and Gaius.

Pleased to meet you all, says Arne.

How was the Miffy Museum? asks David.

Lovely, says Belle. And Terence was so good!

But no one cares about that.

Their faces are crinkled.

Have you sorted out your problems? asks Belle.

No, says Gaius. I still have the wrong bicycle.

No, says Vello. I'm still dead, to all intents and purposes.

We were just discussing it, says Corny. I have offered to ride in his place.

But we are disqualified, says Vello.

What is this? says Arne. Forgive me, but you look quite well.

I am perfectly well, says Vello. But I feel a certain obligation to Arthur, who is suffering a bereavement.

Who? says Belle. I might have known it had something to do with Arthur.

It has, says David. Your papa is being ridiculous.

There is no shame in being MOVED by Arthur's filial feelings, says Vello.

Perhaps I could borrow your bike? says Gaius. That would at least solve my problem.

Certainly not, says Vello. We are on different teams.

Papa! says Belle. That's so selfish!

Arne goes over to Gaius.

I know much about bicycles, says Arne. Perhaps I could help you.

They both go outside.

But this is not an old bicycle, says Arne, on seeing Schopenhauer's bicycle.

I never said it was, says Gaius. Just that it's the wrong one.

Ass Savers, says Arne. Knog lights, Schwelbe tyres, San Marco saddle!

I know, says Gaius. He had it made specially.

Who did? asks Arne.

Schopenhauer, says Gaius. And it channels his thoughts. Most annoying.

Wow! says Arne. You know what? You should take this bike to the FietsLAB!

FietsLAB? says Gaius.

BikeLAB, says Arne. At the Utrecht University Museum. They would love it. They're into virtuals: animation, navigation and manipulation of objects.....

University, says Gaius, brightening up immediately. Yes, I shall go. Will you come?

Sure, says Arne. But I don't want to miss my chance to meet Sweezus.

I'm meeting my fellow team members for dinner, says Gaius. Sweezus, Arthur, and hopefully Pablo.

Are you in Team Condor? says Arne. I thought you were with Team Filosoof.

Not this year, says Gaius. I had my reasons for switching. One being that I was dropped. Two being Team Condor's secret weapon.

Arne knows better than to ask what this is.


No comments: