Monday, July 27, 2015

Stage 21 : Sèvres to Paris Champs-Elysées - Endings

Alas, it is raining.

This makes all the teams damp.

Nothing to do but keep pedalling as the drips fall behind you.

Pedal pedal
gloom gloom
the winner is
(most probably)
Froome.

The thoughts of the riders turn to the future.

Andre Greipel: If I win today I will thank my team and my family.

Froomey: What will I do without Richie?

Richie Porte: Freedom from Froomey!

Vello: David, what would you say to a nice little trip down to Ferney?

David: Ferney?

Vello: My old home.

David: Are you known there? It could be quite irritating.

Vello: Not for me. And yes, I am well known there. Its full name is Ferney-Voltaire.

David: Good grief! I'll give it a miss if you don't mind, old fellow.

Vello: No no, you must come. I've a delightful chateau in Ferney. It's very close to the Swiss border. And you know, the Swiss make fine chocolate...

( Unfair! When it's miserably raining, who can resist chocolate?)

David: All right. I'll come with you.

Gaius too is thinking of after the Tour.

He rides up close to Arthur. Squelch Squelch.

Gaius: Arthur, I was wondering.....

Arthur: No. I'm going with Pablo to a poetry slam in Belgium.

Gaius: Then I shall have to return this bicycle to the Utrecht Museum myself.

Arthur: Get Arne to do it. He has to go back there.

Gaius: Arthur, you're a life saver!

He drops back level with Arne-Doppelganger.

Gaius: Arne, now that the Tour is over.....

Arne-Doppelganger: Nearly over. Froomey hasn't won yet.

Gaius: I think we can safely say that he has. Would you consider returning this bike that I borrowed?

Arne-Doppelganger: I can't ride two bikes! Impossible!

Gaius: No, obviously, I'll take Schopenhauer's bike back to Adelaide.

Arne-Doppelganger: Sorry, no you won't. Not allowed. Crackle crackle.

Gaius: Outrageous! Where are you going? Come back!

An announcement is made. The winner is already decided, due to the weather.

Gloom gloom
the winner is
(definitely)
Froome

And now, the sun shines through the clouds. It is fine on the Champs-Elysées. The famous trees glisten.

Andre Greipel wins the final stage, in a fast bunch sprint finish.

Well done, André Greipel!

On the podium, André thanks his team and his family.

But we knew he would do that already.

No comments: