Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Black Hair Orange Back Pack

Knock!

Gaius opens the door.

It's Dries, with his bicycle, his black hair, his orange back pack.

I was expecting Arthur, says Gaius. But do come in, Dries.

Dries wheels the bicycle into the passage, past various rock piles.

Mind the samples, says Gaius. I see you are still riding Schopenhauer's bicycle. How do you find it?

I get used to it, says Dries. I must always be on the alert.

Indeed, says Gaius. The extraneous Schopenhauerian aphorisms that keep popping into your head. I had the same trouble. How can I help you?

Dries unhitches his back pack. Drops it on the tiled floor.

Oof! says a cementy voice from the depths of the back pack.

Is that young Terence? says Gaius. Why is he here?

He is inseparable from the Bristlebird, says Dries. They are friends para siempre.

Ah! says Gaius. You have brought  me the Bristlebird! That is not what I asked. Why is nothing ever straightforward?

It is straightforward, says Dries. I am here in place of Arthur. I have an interest in shrimps, and in optics, colour and vision. And I am a trained trauma counsellor.

Jumping Jupiter! says Gaius. Those are fine attributes. And can you find me a knife when I need one?

Sure, says Dries. Finding a knife at short notice is a thing I excel at. Also pencils and tins with proper lids on.

This seems almost too good to be true, but Gaius is in a hurry to head off to Queensland.

Can we get out now? asks Terence. It's hot in this back pack.

Sure, says Dries. You and and baby B-B can get out for a breather.

Terence clambers out, dripping, followed by a hot baby B-B.

I'm glad to see you, little Bristlebird, says Gaius. I feel I have an obligation to teach you more skills of survival. Because, besides Tic! and Chack! you know nothing.

No, he doesn't, says Terence. He doesn't know nothing.

Anything, says Dries.

You speak excellent English for a Belgian, says Gaius.

Thank you, says Dries. And you are quite sharp for a Roman.

You're both idiots, says Terence. I said he doesn't know nothing, not anything.

You need to think about what you just said, says Dries.

Baby B-B contemplates intervening at some point........

No comments: